- The effective flea repellents for humans are 3M Ultrathon Lotion, Avon Skin-So-Soft, and BugsBeGone + DIY Flea Repellents like Peppermint, Cedarwood Oil, and Lemon eucalyptus oil.
Below is a description of great products to repel fleas from humans.
Details: Flea Repellent for Humans – Flea Bites 101
Before we get to the flea repellents you can use, you can keep fleas from biting you by;
- Wearing longer pants and ensuring they’re well tackled into the socks.
- Clean, wash, or launder the bedding and clothing
- Steam clean or vacuum the carpets and upholstered furniture
1. SALLYEANDER No-Bite-Me
SALLYEANDER No-Bite-Me is an excellent pesticide for people who are staying outdoors. So, if you’re going traveling, trekking, or camping, this repellent is suitable.
SALLYEANDER No-Bite-Me is a Deet-free insecticide that is great for repelling fleas in kids and humans. The safe & natural flea cream is great to apply on exposed skin.
The essential oil ingredients in this SALLYEANDER No-Bite-Me are cedar, mint, rosemary, and lemongrass (safe, effective, and great in smell) – this won’t hurt human skin including sensitive skin.
You’ll be safe from flea bites and fleas – a suitable flea repellent. The itchy skin will get relief – after you’re bitten by mosquitoes, black flies, fleas, and ticks.
2. Repel 94101 40% DEET Sportsmen Max
Repel 94101 40%-DEET offers protection against bugs including fleas for about 8 hours. Further, you’ll be bug-protected against mosquitoes, no-see-ums, ticks, gnats, chiggers, and fleas.
- This will be great to flea-treat your skin – but it’s advisable to get yourself a great fabric repellent – and also use them with some sunscreens.
Ark-Naturals Neem is an effective flea-repellent that is also natural – great for pets & humans. Its made from natural citronella and neem to repel fleas. This flea repellent is made from natural oil that is extracted from the neem tree.
- Repel 94101 40%-DEET offers excellent bug protection for adults & kids including fleas and thus you’ll be safe from Chikungunya, Zika, Dengue viruses & West Nile.
Luckily, the Repel 94101 40%-DEET is odorless & non-greasy and hence it won’t irritate your skin. It’s suitable for use by campers, backpackers, fishermen, hunters, & outdoor lovers.
The repellent will be simple to apply – you’ll require just to spray Repel 94101 while at some distance (about 6 inches) from your skin and don’t spray on your mouth, ears, face, & eyes.
- Apply this flea-repellent on bare skin and also on your clothes – however, don’t spray on skin that’s cut, wounded, broken, or sunburned.
I would recommend using Repel 94101 40%-DEET as it’s both non-stick & odorless, which makes it suitable for use around outdoor spaces like golf courses & parks that have sand or dirt.
Further, you’ll require to hold your breath while applying the spray to avoid inhaling the flea or bug repellent. Further, you’ll require to re-apply the Repel 94101 40%-DEET every hour if you’re in indoor spaces since sweating may have eroded its effectiveness.
- Despite having a strong odor upon application, Repel 94101 40%-DEET will wash off easily from your clothes during washing.
3. Ultrathon™ Flea Repellent (3M)
Ultrathon™ Flea Repellent (3M) is a great flea repellent – you’ll require to apply the lotion in a thin layer to cover the various skin surfaces that are exposed.
- You won’t require to saturate your skin with the repellent to achieve better effectiveness. But don’t use Ultrathon™ Flea Repellent on eczematous or inflamed skin, on wounds or cuts.
The Ultrathon™ flea repellent offers controlled release and thus will give longer protection – this will be about 12 hours and hence it’ll protect you while you’re sleeping.
Is Ultrathon safe? Well, YES, Ultrathon™ Flea Repellent (3M) is safe when used as instructed on the label. But avoid products with DEET on pets and babies – or underneath clothing.
- But Ultrathon™ Flea Repellent (3M) has a low DEET percentage while at the same time being highly repellent against fleas attacking humans.
The product is adapted for use in the tropics and jungles, which implies that it’ll also protect you against more blood-thirsty and fiercer bugs – and thus repelling fleas will be easy.
One reviewer notes that his doctor had advised against using chemical lotions – but this one worked well for his 4 day-trek – it’s effective and won’t evaporate like other bg sprays.
- So, Ultrathon™ flea repellent offered him flea protection for his 4 days of trekking. Further, it offered bug-repelling against mosquito and chigger bites.
- Luckily, this lotion lacks a bad odor and will offer an immediate stop to the action of the fleas.
See Also: Fogger for fleas
4. Avon SSS Flea Guard
Avon SSS Flea Guard is an equally great flea-repellent for humans – it has a great smell and feels. With the synthetic Picaridin ingredient, this formula offers great insect repelling.
The synthetic Picaridin used in Avon SSS Flea Guard is excellent in repelling fleas or insects. It’s modeled from the natural Picaridin extracted from black pepper plants.
- Despite not being an official kit, the army and Marines use Avon SSS Flea Guard against fleas, mosquitoes, and midges – it’s an EPA-approved bug repellent.
The synthetic Picaridin is a safer, longer-lasting, and low-odor flea-effective flea repellent alternative for the harmful DEET. It won’t irritate your eyes, sensitive skin, or even stick on your skin.
On safety, Avon SSS Guard has IR3535, Octisalate, Oxybenzone, and Octinoxate – these synthetic flea-guard ingredients. They are gentle and low-risk, and hence great on human skin.
- Avon SSS Flea Guard is manufactured with jojoba oil and has will produce that spicy & floral scent.
5. Amrita Aromatherapy Bug-Be-Gone Oils Blend
This Bug-Be-Gone blend includes lemongrass, eucalyptus, lavender, and citronella essential oils – will repel fleas. The inert ingredients are Polysorbate, Aloe Vera, and water.
- This natural other oils in the blend are Catnip, Rosemary, Peppermint, and skin-soothing emulsifier.
On usage, apply the Bug-Be-Gone on exposed skin including on legs, head, arms, neck, and face – you may also spray the oil blend on your clothes.
- It’ll be helpful to apply the Bug-Be-Gone lotion in hourly intervals to achieve effective protection. But don’t apply on inflamed or sunburned skin and on eyes.
The lotion is suitable for humans who don’t love using pesticides on their skin. The Bug-Be-Gone has top efficacy for protection against bugs thanks to the blend of essential oils.
Natural Flea Repellents – Flea Home Remedies
The natural flea repellents to be used by humans include essential oils like neem, eucalyptus, peppermint, tea tree, and citronella. You’ll require 10 – 20 drops mixed into some water spray.
- Cedarwood oil
- Lemon eucalyptus oil
These essential oils will be great for repelling fleas – some of the oils include walnut oil, sweet almond oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, and olive oil.
Fleas bites are itchy (causing skin damage with excessive scratching + may trigger bacterial infections) and the bugs reproduce fast – so you’ll need an effective plan to repel and or get rid of them.