Acquiring a new riding lawn mower is a huge investment. If you’re a professional or DIY gardener looking for the best riding lawn mower for tall grass such as Zoysia, this review will walk you through our top picks.
- Riding lawn mowers, also known as garden tractors, are way too important than you think!
- Lawn tractors have made it easier to cut tall grass and large garden lawns.
Since ride-on mowers feature a wide range of specifications, Safety features, and designs, it can be hard finding the right model for your needs. First, here’s how to how to choose a riding lawnmower.
Mower: 7 Best Riding Lawn Mower for Tall Grass 2022
This was the most impressive option in our featured list. Troy Bilt is specially designed to cut wet and tall grass and is ideal for gardeners with medium-sized green landscapes.
Its strong engine at a pocket-friendly price is what makes this tractor mower the ideal choice for most homeowners.
- This small mower has a compact engine and a medium-sized mowing deck.
- You shouldn’t have to worry about stability with this Troy-Bilt model because the weight is mounted on the back.
Its mulching deck can be adjusted to five different heights – check these mowers with mulcher. This is a basic ride-on mower that suits the needs of most users at a really friendly price.
Cub Cadet’s range of ride-on lawn tall grass mowers makes the top list of our featured models in this review with their power packed Xt1 Enduro Series.
This front engine riding mower is not only incredibly fairly priced but is also performs impressively with its smooth hydrostatic transmission in place of shift gears.
- The Xt1 Enduro Series is powered by an 18 HP Kohler OHV engine and a larger cutting deck (42 inches).
- It stands out as one of the most impressive tractor mowers in its class due to its ability to cut tall gas cleanly and precisely.
A fender-mounted lever and a cruise control button allow the user to focus on steering the tractor mower as it automatically maintains the ideal speed.
If you’re looking to trim tall grass on slightly uneven ground, this rear-wheel-driven tractor mower stands out from the others due to its exceptional performance and smooth ride.
This tractor mower runs for two hours after an overnight charging session. It allows users to mow for about an hour and a half before parking it for the day.
Each blade is powered by its own motor, which ensures that the mower does not lose speed when it encounters long and thick patches of grass.
Although this tractor mower is not ideal for steep gradients, it performs incredibly well on hilly lawns.
The Ryobi RM480E rivals similar fuel-powered gas-powered ride-on mowers in terms of lower cut quality, speed (5mph in cutting mode), agility, and user ride experience.
When it comes to cutting that tall grass, you need the most efficient mower. The Husqvarna Tractor Mower is just the right tool for the job which cuts grass more efficiently and faster than a standard mower.
This model’s auto-transmission design makes it easier for users to operate it for prolonged periods without the need for maintenance.
- It also features an air induction technology that helps in improving the aeration of the deck.
- Cleaning the deck of this tractor mower is made so much easier by the deck wash port which can be conveniently connected to a water hose.
A feeder that is conveniently attached to the Husqvarna 18.5hp riding mower helps the user operate it with more ease. This Husqvarna mower has durable handles on either side of the rider’s seat.
The seat is specially padded and contoured for the user’s comfort to ensure a smooth ride. This model features a large set of back tires and smaller front wheels, which make it easier to mow over bumpy lawns.
- The conveniently positioned headlights on the unit make it convenient for users to mow before sunrise or after sundown.
- This feature ensures that your lawn will always look how you intended for it to appear throughout the season.
If you’re looking to treat your lawn to a professional quality mow, the Ariens IKON-X 52″ Kawasaki Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower can come in handy.
This unit will leave your lawn looking beautiful with minimal effort on the user’s part.
The durability of this model stands out, particularly due to the heavy-duty steel full welded tubular frame that is sure to last for years.
The unit is powered by a 23HP V-Twin engine made out of commercial-grade materials. A cast-iron lining on the mower’s cylinder ensures its durability.
An automatic release compression guarantees a smooth start while an internally curved carburetor ensures improved fuel management.
Three different blades make up the deck of this Ariens series. 52 inches of 11-gauge steel ensure that the user gets an excellent cut every single time.
A dial installed onboard allows the mower to adjust to the ideal height. The height positions can be adjusted from among 13 height positions ranging from 1.5 inches to 4.5 allowing a customizable cut.
This tractor mower model is a relatively cheap, light, and quality mower. With a 10-year warranty, this 54” reinforced mowing deck offers one of the best values at the current market price.
Although it falls short in terms of horsepower and a smaller gas tank as compared to other mowers in its class, this model makes up for its shortfalls through a cheaper price, quality, and durability.
- This unit is aggressively priced and competes well in the light category.
The tool is powered by a Kohler engine which generates 22hp of power during the cutting time at a top speed of 7.5mph.
- It comes equipped with front-mounted headlights if you’re a mower that fancies cutting your lawn before sunrise or after dark.
A 16-inch turn radius cutter delivers just what most homeowners need in a powerful ride-on mower. The model’s 48” wheelbase ensures stability for the user.
Model LGT2654 is a yard workhouse that is worth every dollar that features a 26 horse power Kohler V-Twin engine.
Husqvarna promises to get all the dirty job done given its large cutting width (54”) if you have a fairly flat lawn.
Other features that make this tractor mower one of the most popular in the market are its hydrostatic transmission, electric blade engagement, and cruise control which make the Husqvarna LGT2654 light tractor one of the most popular choices among gardeners.
Buying this model gives you access to the Husqvarna range of gardening equipment which means you can get access to any related implements for your various needs.
It falls in the light garden tractor category, weighing about 550lbs with a wheelbase of 48 inches. Its top speed is 7.75 mph featuring a hydrostatic transmission.
With a warranty of 3 years, this Kohler engine-powered tool is guaranteed to serve your needs in the long term.
Considerations for Best Riding Lawn Mower for Tall Grass
Ride-on mowers present the perfect solution for tackling large or for small yards with tall grass.
- As compared to walk-behind mowers, the ride-on range of mowers delivers exceptional results with very minimal efforts on the user’s part.
There is no one size fits all mower for cutting tall grass. The best ride-on mower will depend on your current needs and requirements.
1. Cut width
The mowers’ ride cutting width is a measure of how wide the tool can cut at one go.
- Whereas lighter mowers feature a minimum cutting off 30 inches, larger ride-on mowers can have a cutting width of 50 inches and above.
- If you have a relatively small property with hard-to-reach areas and obstacles, a light ride-on mower is more ideal for manoeuvering around tight areas.
A larger model is more ideal for bigger spaces with an open layout.
2. Fuel capacity
In most cases, the amount of fuel each mower tank can hold is directly proportional to its size.
- The key takeaway here is to purchase a tool with the right fuel capacity for your lawn size.
- Refueling in the middle of mowing activity is the last thing most professional mowers might want to contend with.
While mowers with smaller tanks are perfectly fine for smaller lawns, large lawns require bigger fuel capacities.
3. Power transmission
The mower’s power transmission allows the tool to transfer power from the engine to the wheels allowing the ride-on mower to move in both forward and reverse directions.
- The common modes of transmission are automatic, manual, and hydrostatic.
- For the older models, users have to shift between speeds by engaging a clutch. This is highly impracticable while the tractor mower is in motion.
In contrast, a hydrostatic transmission system is deemed ideal for transmitting power from the mower engine to the wheels. It also needs the least amount of maintenance.
4. Reverse mow
This is a very useful feature that comes in handy if you are working in a tricky landscape or when you need to go back after missing a spot.
The warranty period is an extremely consideration when you are looking to buy a highly-priced riding lawnmower.
- The longer the warranty period the more you can expect the product to serve you.
The warranty period can save you hundreds of dollars in replacing broken parts.
6. Deck size
The larger the tractor mower deck size, the less time it will take you to get the job done. A mowing deck of 38” is considered ideal for most mowing jobs.
If you’re shopping on a budget and looking for the best alternative in the market, the Troy Bilt 420cc promises the best value for your money.
It is capable of mowing a medium-sized garden with ease and it is incredibly compact.