Mowing a rugged lawn is not the most thrilling activity. But, with the excellent riding lawn mower, it could become something that you can enjoy.
- Riding lawn mowers come in varied sizes, and for different rough terrains – hilly or bushy.
Below, we give you seven of the best, giving areas where you can use them. Related: Best zero turn mower for rough terrain
Mowers: 9 Best Riding Lawn Mower for Rough Terrain 2022
Rather than a steering wheel, the Courier Zero Turn Mower has instead, two joysticks sticking out to the sides of the vehicle for navigation.
This riding lawn mower has excellent suspension, with a front axle that has shock absorber dampeners as well as a swing arm rear suspension.
- This feature makes it perfect for rough terrain.
It comes readily assembles, meaning that once you have it delivered, you’re ready to begin.
The Ryobi riding lawn mower is a battery-operated lawn mower that is elegantly built and looks pleasant to the eye.
Because of the battery-operated system, this is an excellent environment-friendly lawnmower.
- It has three brushless motors, which will provide you with the power that you need when you are clearing a large lawn.
It is electric; therefore, there are little added expenses, as you’ll not need to replace belts and or filters or buy fuel. With a two-hour battery run time, you’ll find great use of this riding lawnmower.
Related: Best Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Troy-Bilt has a reputation for building high-quality lawn care machinery and equipment. Their lawn mowers stand out, and this model of their riding lawn mower is no different.
This Troy-Bilt 540 machine is a lawnmower that they built like a small tractor. It has a front-mounted engine.
This lawnmower comes with a 46-inch cutting deck, thus, an efficient mower for large tracts of land.
- It is an automatic foot-pedal transmission, making it easy to work with and enjoy the process of mowing the lawn.
It is perfect for the rough terrain, as its design is comfortable, with the steering wheel very responsive and padded. It also would work well mowing in reverse.
This mower immediately stands out because of its bright orange color. But that is just aesthetics. This Husqvarna is well-built and robust, with speed adjustable to match the blade and how you want it.
With an engine that powers up to 18.5 HP, this is a machine that will cut your lawn and work well on the hilly terrain.
- It is an auto transmission, and this will be easier to operate in the field, needing very little input.
With a 42-inch cutting deck, it’s possible to use a medium-sized to a large lawn; it has quite a high speed, meaning that you maximize efficiency.
The Ariens is a massive lawnmower that you can mistake for a small land mover.
It packs a powerful 23 HP Kawasaki engine, which drives it with high torque even when the speed is low, on top of being quiet when in operation.
- This power means that it will roll over tall grasses and hills with little problem.
- It has a cutting deck of 52 inches, so you’ll make fewer passes if your lawn is large.
It is built to last, with a robust, sturdy exterior. It also comes with a three-year warranty on all Ariens dealers, a testament to the confidence the manufacturer has in the product.
Related: Best Lawn Mower with Mulcher
Craftsman has been in the farm machinery business for years, with quality lawn mowers and snowplows, among other machinery.
So, it is only natural that they will have a high-quality mower in the Z560.
The Z560 comes with a massive 54-inch cutting deck for cutting, trimming, and clipping in one take, and a powerful 24 HP engine. The two combine to make this a monster in large lawn operations.
With a comfortable high seat and two levers that meet in front of the chair for control, this lawnmower will be comfortable throughout the activity.
You can also mow it on reverse without pausing. You’ll also cover a wide area fast as it also has impressive speeds.
The MZ61 is another massive lawnmower with high power and a broad cutting deck.
With a deck clocking at 61 inches and an engine with a power of up to 27 HP, this riding lawn mower is one that you’ll use to its maximum on large lawns.
- Despite the wide cutting deck, the lawnmower is surprisingly slimmer, with only the blade extending beneath the machine.
- Weighing at over 300 pounds, this is one product that is packed with features to make mowing more comfortable.
It has a high backrest seat and padded hand grips for comfort. It also has suspensions that help reduce vibrations with the mulching kit coming separately.
Considerations for Best Riding Lawn Mower in Rough Terrain
You’ll need to find a mower that is durable and well-built, one which will not loosen up and jam when it comes across little obstacles.
These machines do not come cheap, so finding the one that will last you for a long while also maintaining low costs of operations is critical.
1. Easy To Use
You’ll ride this equipment in a rugged landscape so you’ll need one that is easy to steer, allowing you to avoid, or go over obstacles with ease.
- The steering wheel or navigating gear should be well padded to protect your hand from all the vibrations going on.
- You’ll also need one with comfortable seats, which will include full suspension seats or seats with extra padding.
There are those with high seatbacks or mid-back. A high backrest provides more stability and is more comfortable. If you find one with armrest, it will even be better.
2. Cutting Deck
The width of the cutting deck determines how long you’ll take to mow your lawn. If you have a large yard, then you’ll need a mower with a broad cutting deck.
- You might also consider one with shorter cutting decks if your lawn is full of obstacles such as trees or large rocks to navigate small spaces between them with ease.
For better usage, use riding lawn mowers that have no less than 38 inches cutting width.
The type of transmission that you’ll use will depend on your preference and ability to spend.
A manual transmission will come at a lower price and will last you longer, while an automatic transmission will be costlier but will take a burden off your shoulder when in operation.
- Hydrostatic transmissions are smooth as they do not use belts and, thus, last longer. However, they have a very high price tag.
- A CVT transmission uses two pulleys of different widths, with one connecting to the wheels, and the other to the engine.
With the pulleys working off each other through changing in their diameters, they offer a smooth and steady transition.
No transmission system is perfect. Each comes with advantages and disadvantages. Knowing how your lawn operates to work your way through which transmission will work best for you.
A warranty is a guarantee that the manufacturer has confidence in his product. When you go for a riding lawn mower, go for a manufacturer that gives a long-term warranty for their product. A few of the above riding lawn mowers come with a minimum of two years’ warranty.
Getting a product on warranty will also save you potential costs that you would have incurred without the guarantee. Manufacturers’ defects will always happen.
A warranty is there to safeguard you as a consumer, as well as build the reputation of the manufacturer. A manufacturer will not issue a warranty on a riding lawn mower that is faulty, as it will cost them.
Maintenance is the crucial link between you and a well-working riding lawnmower.
- So, sharpen the blades at least twice a year and ensure that you do not use them on wet grass to avoid the grass clamping the edges.
With the best riding lawn mowers at your disposal, you’ll achieve a beautiful, welcoming lawn in your home, no matter how rugged the terrain is.